Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Graduation" Reading Analysis

Critical Thinking Question 4:

        I choose the part in the story where Angelou the author when she writes about the white man's (Mr. Edward Donleavy) speech. He tore her down after she felt so proud of what she had achieved. I liked how the author wrote the whole story in a short summary with out giving to much away. I liked this because it got you interested on knowing what happened with further detail. She used a lot foreshadowing by just doping simple hints on the stories content. An example of this was when she wrote, "Oh, it was important, all right. Whitefolks would attend the ceremony" and later she explained why that was so important to mention. Writing my own graduation story would be similar to Angelou's in the way that i would use foreshadowing like she did because as a reader it helped me understand the story before it was even told. I would write my story also with a good climax like in this story when she heard her fellow classmates speech. I did not see that coming and as a reader i am glad that I didn't. My graduation story would have to be about my elementary graduation because i remember that one the most. I could use a lot of detail like a good narrative is supposed to have. I remember what i was wearing and i even remember even getting my dress and shoes. Even thought it was the least significant graduation of my like to me it was special and I remember every detail and i believe that is what a good narrative is comprised of, lots of detail. In Angelou's story we didn't really need to know every single detail to obtain the point or significance of the story but as reader it helped picture the story and the setting which makes a story better to ready because it causes one to feel as if you are there with them in the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment